On Sunday, Miss South Africa Zozibini Tunzi was announced the winner of the coveted competition, which was held at Tyler Perry Studios in Atlanta, Georgia.
Taking the first runner-up title was Miss Puerto Rico Madison Anderson, while Miss Mexico Sofía Aragón earned the second runner-up title.
1. Zozibini Is From South Africa: Zozibini was the early favourite, but it was her powerful message of inclusivity that eventually clinched her the Miss Universe crown. She became the third woman from South Africa to win the coveted title.
2. Zozibini Is the daughter of a Teacher: Tunzi was born in Tsolo, a town in the Eastern Cape of South Africa, to a family of educators – her mother is an school principal and her father works at the Department of Higher Education and Training in Pretoria.
3. Zozibini Schooled in Cape Town :She is the second of three girls. A Public Relations officer, Tunzi is a graduate of the Cape Peninsula University of Technology in Cape Town.
4. Zozibini ia all about impactful inclusiveness: She said “I grew up in ha world where a woman who looks like me with my kind of skin and my kind of hair was never considered to be beautiful,” Miss South Africa said. “And I think that’s time that stops today. I want children to look at me and see my face and I want them to see their faces reflected in mine.”
5. History Maker: Miss South Africa’s win marks a special one. Not only does this make three wins for the country but Tunzi is the first black woman to earn the title since Leila Lopes was crowned Miss Universe 2011.
6. Black Beauty: The 26-year-old pageant queen is a huge advocate for natural beauty. According to her page on the Miss Universe site, she hopes to “encourages women to love themselves the way they are.”7. Using Her Platform to Make Changes:: Tunzi is an activist who fights against gender-based violence. “I’m asking the people of South Africa to be part of the fabric of my Miss Universe National Costume by writing love letters that pledge support for the women of this country,” she captioned a recent Instagram post. “It is my hope that these pledges will start, and continue a conversation around gender-based violence. We have to start the narration where right-thinking people act as role models for those who think it’s okay to mistreat women.”
Because of her I have a thirst for knowledge and a love for reading. She sparked a flame in me to always want to do more and to be more.”10. She’s One Heck of a Model: Take one look at her Instagram and you’ll see a multitude of glamour shots of her modeling fabulous fashion pieces.11. A Queen Is Born: Celebrating her incredible win, Tunzi did not mince her words when she spoke about what it means for someone like her to be crowned Miss Universe. “Tonight a door was opened, and I could not be more grateful to have been the one to have walked through it,” she posted on Instagram shortly after her coronation. “May every little girl who witnessed this moment forever believe in the power of her dreams and may they see their faces reflected in mine. I proudly state my name Zozibini Tunzi, Miss Universe 2019!”.Photo Credit: Getty