Female Heads Of State In World 2020—This might not actually be a new political phenomenon any longer but it’s still a thing of significant influence when you consider the raft of female political leaders across the world holding the most senior political offices in their different countries.
While women rulers have led great empires as hereditary monarchs since ancient times, the first appointed female head of state didn’t take office until 1960, when Sirivamo Bandaranaike of Sri Lanka became the world’s first female elected Premier, serving as head of the government. In 1974, Isabel Peron was secretly sworn in as President of Argentina following the death of her husband, Argentinian strongman Juan Peron, becoming the first woman in history to hold the top position of power.
Since then, it’s become more and more common for women to be elected as the leaders of their nations. Most especially the new wave blowing through most European nations no other continent of the world has more female political rulers as compared to Europe, just yesterday Ekaterini Sakellaropoulou was elected as the new president of Greece the number of leaders across the world has increased tremendously but we could definitely do with more women in power.
Here is the complete list of current presidents or heads of government who are women.
- Angel Merkel- Germany
2. Sophie Willems- Belgium
3. Kolinda Grabar-Kitarovic- Croatia
4. Kersti Kaljulaid- Estonia
5. Zuzana Caputova- Slovakia
6. Mette Frederiksen- Denmark
7. Sanna Marin – Finland
8. Erna Solberg- Norway
9. Katrin Jakobsdottir- Iceland
10. Salome Zurabishvili- Georgia
11. Ana Brnabic- Serbia
12. Bidhya Devi Bhandari- Nepal
13. Tsai Ing-wen – Republic of China (Taiwan)
14. Jacinda Kate Laurell Ardern – New Zealand
15 Ekaterini Sakellaropoulou – Greece
16. Dalia Grybauskaitė – Lithuania
17. Saara Kuugongelwa – Namibia
18. Sahle-Work Zewde – Ethiopia
19. Ameenah Gurib- Mauritius
20. Hilda Heine- Marshall Islands
Photo Credit: Getty