Tuesday, November 29, 2022
spot_img

Family of 24 Die After Eating Poisonous Meal Cooked With Fertiliser Mistaken For Salt In Sokoto

- Advertisement -

Twenty-four family members lost their lives after eating some poisonous food in Sokoto State.


State Commissioner for Health, Ali Inname, who confirmed the incident in a statement said it occurred on Monday in Danzanke village of Bargaja ward of Isa Local Government Area of Sokoto State.

According to Inname, the incident was caused by the use of a fertiliser type of chemical, popularly called “Gishirin Lalle in Hausa” as a seasoning in domestic family cooking, which was considered as common salt.

Read Also: FG Will Not Undertake New Capital Projects In 2021- Zainab Ahmed, Finance Minister
“Regrettably, the entire family who ate the meal lost their lives, except two female members, who merely tasted the food and are currently responding to treatment, with very good chances of survival.

“Attempts to save the lives of all the affected people by providing the needed medical care proved abortive,” Inname said.

The commissioner urged the public to learn from this incident and keep away such poisonous chemicals from easy reach.

Read Also: Attorney General, Abubakar Malami ‘Collapses In Sokoto, Hospitalised’
He said that it was very important for the public to know that the incidence was preventable and not contagious, as it was extremely fatal, even with the best medical attention given to victims.

Also Read:  Underrate Me At Your Own Risk - Tolani Baj Declares

Inname advised people to always separate storage sites for food items from other agricultural and cosmetic items, and to carefully check all ingredients and foodstuff before use.


He stressed that food stores should be secured to prevent access to flies, while cooked food and water sources should be secured.

Inname enjoined people to safeguard their surroundings to be clean and reduce flies and other vectors and wash hands regularly with soap and water.

Read Also: FG To Slash Civil Servants’ Salaries And Merge Agencies To Cut Cost – Zainab Ahmed, Finance Minister
“Wells should have covers to prevent contamination from faces of surface water after rainfall, the water should be boiled before use, especially in rural areas.

“Report to health facility or isolation camp in your area early when you observe any unusual symptoms or unusual condition,” Inname appealed to residents.

Photo Credit: Getty

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Leave a Reply

Stay Connected

13,000FansLike
21,100FollowersFollow
37,000SubscribersSubscribe
- Advertisement -

Latest Articles