The National Judicial Council has sent President Muhammadu Buhari 22 names of judges recommended for the Supreme Court and other courts after its second virtual meeting held August 11 and 12, 2020.
NJC’s Director of Information, Mr Soji Oye announced that the council presided over by Chief Justice of Nigeria Tanko Muhammad, recommended a total of 22 judicial officers across various courts including the Supreme Court, following a steady decline in the number of its justices over the past 2 years.
4 of the nominees were recommended for appointment to the Supreme Court while the other names nominated were for other levels of the Nigerian courts.
The statement read;
• NJC recommends appointment of four (4) Justices, Supreme Court of Nigeria, three (3) Heads of Court, eleven (11) Judges for State High Courts and four (4) Kadis, of Sharia Court of Appeal;
The National Judicial Council under the Chairmanship of the Chief Justice of Nigeria, Honourable Dr. Justice I. T. Muhammad CFR, at its 2nd Virtual Meeting held on 11th and 12th August, 2020, considered the list of candidates presented by its Interview Committee and resolved to recommend the under-listed names of twenty-two (22) successful candidates to President Muhammadu Buhari, GCFR, and their respective State Governors for appointment as Justices of Supreme Court of Nigeria, Heads of Court and other Judicial Officers in Nigeria.
They are as follows:
1. APPOINTMENT OF FOUR (4) JUSTICES, SUPREME COURT OF NIGERIA
i) Hon. Justice Tijjani Abubakar
ii) Hon. Justice Mohammed L. Garba
iii) Hon. Justice Abdu Aboki
iv) Hon. Justice Mohammed M. Saulawa
The Supreme Court of Nigeria currently have a total number of 12 Justices including the Hon. The Chief Justice of Nigeria, consisting of two (2) Justices from North Central, one (1) from the North East, one (1) from North West, three (3) from South East, one (1) from the South South and three (3) from the South West.
2. APPOINTMENT CHIEF JUDGE, YOBE STATE
i) Hon. Justice Gumna Kashim Kaigama
3. APPOINTMENT OF GRAND KADI, SHARIA COURT OF APPEAL, KATSINA STATE
i) Hon. Kadi Muhammed Abubakar
4. APPOINTMENT OF PRESIDENT, CUSTOMARY COURT OF APPEAL, IMO STATE
i) Hon. Justice Mathew Emeka Njoku
5. APPOINTMENT OF SIX (6) JUDGES, HIGH COURT OF JUSTICE, KANO STATE
i) Jamilu Shehu Suleiman
ii) Maryam Ahmen Sabo
iii) Sanusi Ado Ma’aji
iv) Abdu Maiwada Abubakar
v) Zuwaira Yusuf
vi) Hafsat Yahaya Sani
6. APPOINTMENT OF TWO (2) JUDGES, HIGH COURT OF JUSTICE, TARABA STATE
i) Clara Jummai Kataps
ii) Kazera Blessing Kodiya
7. APPOINTMENT OF FOUR (4) KADIS SHARIA COURT OF APPEAL, KADUNA STATE
i) Muhammad Aminu Danjuma
ii) Mustapha Umar
iii) Muhammad Tukur Rashid
iv) Muhammad Nasir Sidi
8. APPOINTMENT OF THREE (3) JUDGES, CUSTOMARY COURT OF APPEAL, DELTA STATE
i) Gabriel Nkeiruka Dele Okafor
ii) Grace Abanre Ibiye
iii) Jessica Susan Gberevbie
All recommended candidates are expected to be sworn-in after approval by the President, Muhammadu Buhari, GCFR and their respective State Governors and confirmation by the National Assembly and the respective State House of Assemblies.
Soji Oye, Esq
Photo Credit: Getty