First dates are nerve-wracking, no matter how much you prepare or psych yourself up.
With coronavirus restrictions easing and things returning to normality, in person dating is finally making a comeback, so you’ll be glad to know we’ve got some clues for you to look for to tell if they’re into you.
Read Also: Strictly Ladies: Boobs, Booty And 8 Other Features Nigerian Men Find Irresistible In Women
To help everyone get back into the swing of in-person dating, we reveal the 10 key signs to keep an eye out for, so don’t have to wait to be asked out on a second date to know whether you’re on the same page.
1. Eye contact: Eye contact is one of the key signs of connection and can be an important indicator of whether your date is interested in you. Eye contact is still the best indicator of desire. If someone likes you, they will look at you when you chat, maintain eye contact, and not search for their phone or the clock behind your back with their eyes.
2. Breathing speed: How your date holds themselves in your presence is a strong indicator for how they feel about you, and if they’re feeling relaxed in your company. Are they breathing quickly?. This means they’re excited to be sitting in your company! But if they’re breathing slowly, it’s not a bad thing, this just means that they’re nice and relaxed in your company.Read Also: Strictly Ladies: Five Ways To Get Through A Rough Patch When Dating A Nigerian
3. Arm positioning: How they position their arms can be another indication of how your date is feeling, and depending on positioning, can mean they’re disinterested, on guard, or relaxed. Crossed arms show a secret-keeper and someone on the defence, and make sure to keep an eye out for hand-in-pockets, as this might mean hand-on-phone!. The ideal positioning is for someone’s arms to be nice and relaxed by their side.
4. Hip positioning: An open posture is a great indicator of interest, and if your companion is turning their body to face you, it could be a sign that the date is going well. Be sure to check if they mirror your stance as this will tell you if they want to impress you. We’re not looking for someone to be overly familiar and too close, but a bit of obvious attraction is a sign you’ve pulled.
5. Walking style: Whether a date walks at your side, lags behind, or powers ahead can be an indication of compatibility, and of their desire to be with you. Compatible couples fall in step, walking at the same pace and striding similar lengths. You’re definitely not looking for someone who runs ahead and leaves you behind.
When sitting down you should take note of what way their legs are positioned. Towards you is fab, but away from you and you know they’ve probably got a week full of dates to be getting on with.
6. Hair touching: If your date can’t stop touching their hair, it’s a good sign that they’re attracted to you and are feeling flirty.
Hair twirling is still the best sign that someone is interested in you. Keep an eye out for how often your date plays with their hair, or if they’re adjusting their head covering. No hair? They might be messing with their scarf or collar!
7. Teeth on show: As in most walks of life, an unrestrained smile is a great indicator for how much your date is enjoying being in your company. Whilst it might sound obvious, a big smile – especially a toothy grin – is an indicator that things are going well.
8. Back positioning: If your date is facing you with open body language, this is an important sign that they’re happy to be on the date with you. If they’re turning their back to you, turning away to message someone else or just generally feeling cagey, grab that bill.
9. Laughter: It’s often said that you can tell if someone likes you if they laugh at bad jokes, and that’s very close to the truth. At the very least, genuine laughter is a good sign that your date is having fun with you, and it could mean that they’re feeling their sense of attraction towards you grow.
We’re always on our best behaviour in a romantic setting, trying to impress. Listen to the sounds – anyone who laughs with wild abandon, spluttering and snorting, tears in their eyes – you can be sure you’ve got their heart.
10. Physical contact: If your date is giving you slight touches during your conversation, and finding ways to initiate physical contact, then you know they’re into you.
However tiny, however innocent – a comforting hand on your elbow when you talk about family, squeezing together to fit in a booth, a high five over a joke – it’s a gesture of interest, a gesture of connection.
Photo Credit: Getty