Thirteen people have been confirmed dead on Monday after consuming toxic alcohol in the northern region of Uttar Pradesh state in India.
The local police chief, Akhilesh Kumar said five people died on Saturday and eight on Sunday after consuming the locally-brewed alcohol in Kanpur district.
Mr. Kumar further hinted that the death toll could rise due to the fact that 10 people are currently being treated at various hospitals for the consumption.
Currently, sale of the local alcohol, locally known as, Madhuri-442 has been banned nationwide. 11 people have been arrested for the production and sale of the substance.
Photo Credit: Getty