Paul Ibe, media adviser to Atiku Abubakar, has explained why his principal and the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) withdrew a suit against the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).
The PDP and Abubakar had secured leave of the tribunal to have access to all the sensitive materials used by INEC in the elections.
However, Abubakar and his party filed a fresh motion ex-parte, marked: CA/PEC/10M/2023 claiming that INEC refused to grant them access to monitor the sorting of ballot papers.
READ ALSO: Governorship Poll: They Are Trying To Intimidate Voters With Oro Festival- Gbadebo Vivour Rhodes
But on Wednesday when the case was called for hearing, Kyari Gadzama, Abubakar’s counsel, informed the court that he had filed a notice of discontinuance.
In a statement explaining why the case was discontinued, Ibe said the application was withdrawn because it had been “overtaken by events”.
Ibe said Atiku’s lawyers were given access to the election materials on Tuesday, hence there was no need to continue with the case.
READ ALSO: Presidential Election: PDP, Atiku Withdraw Court Application Against INEC
“It has become pertinent to make some clarifications following insinuations and mischievous reporting of the withdrawal of the application for the INEC to grant access to the legal team of Abubakar and the PDP on the inspection of the documents related to the February 25 presidential election,” Ibe said.
Trending video of the day;
Photo Credit: Getty