It takes a strong and bold woman to raise her children singlehandedly. She has society judge her like she committed a heinous crime.
People talk behind her back when she walks pregnant with no man next to her, and gasp in shock when they spot no ring on her finger. Bringing up a child into this cold world alone is such a hard thing to do, and it takes an even tougher skin to live through the stares and insults.
One of the hardest things is getting back in the dating scene when you have a child. Guys think you are looking for a father for your baby. I believe it takes an equally strong man to date a single mother; to step up and become an ideal father figure and fill the void another man was meant to fill. Here are some of the things you should know if you want to date a single mom.
1. Her baby is her priority: One thing you need to understand before you start dating a single mother is that her kids will always be her priority. You came into her life when she had a baby and that will never change – whether you stay or leave, they’ll still be there. Understand that her love for her babies will always be number one.
2. Her ex will still be in the picture: Yes, but not always. I know you may want it a different way but remember that she had kids with someone else. He is always going to be part of the kid’s life depending on the custody arrangement he has with her. Try and understand that she is with you and has feelings for only you. There is a reason why she is not with him, and sometimes it’s best not to bring up the subject. Just be a supportive partner.
3. She is not looking to waste time: A single mom has been through enough and the last thing on her mind would be to settle with someone who is going to waste her time. If you know that you are not ready to commit just leave her alone. Make your intentions clear with her before she starts to have feelings involved and you are not looking for anything. The only games she wants to play are those with her kids and not with a grown man.
4. She is mature: A single mother is forced to mature faster because she now has to prioritize her dependents, her children, over anything and everyone else. As mentioned before, she has enough on her plate to be tolerating a grown baby who cannot understand or acknowledge her duties and priorities.
5. She wants to love and be loved: A single mom can do it all but don’t get it twisted she still craves love. Being a single mom is one of the loneliest jobs in the world but it is also the most fulfilling job. But she also needs and wants to be pampered. She wants to have someone else thinking about her and wanting to do right by her. All her days are spent thinking about her baby and for someone to show her she’s appreciated is something she wants. She wants someone who will love her and want to take care of her.
Dating a single mom is not easy but it will always be worth it. You will get someone whose heart is filled with so much love. You will get a strong woman who will not underestimate your worth once she has decided to keep you. If you have fallen in love with a single mother don’t let what society says about her keep you from your great love.
Photo Credit: Getty