More than 500 people who received their coronavirus jabs have been admitted to hospital with Covid-19, a UK study has found.
Researchers at Liverpool University said the patients had all received one dose of the vaccine at least three weeks before they were admitted.
They said the patients were largely frail and elderly, while the number of people who were hospitalised represented only around 1 per cent of the 52,000 people involved in the research.
Read Also: Oxford Develops ‘Game-changing’ Malaria Vaccine That’s 77% Effective At Stopping Infection
The report warns: “Elderly and vulnerable people who had been shielding, may have inadvertently been exposed and infected either through the end-to-end process of vaccination, or shortly after vaccination through behavioural changes where they wrongly assume they are immune.”
Despite NHS advice that patients are likely to have good protection from the virus for three or four weeks after the jab, 526 people were admitted to hospital and 113 people died in what the research team called “vaccine failures”.
They also noted the level of “vaccine failure” identified was not surprising based on the results of trials that took place before the jabs were rolled out.
Colin Semple, professor of outbreak medicine at Liverpool University and one of the leaders of the study, told the Times: “People should not be surprised about some vaccine failure. It is what was predicted. It does result in tragedy. We are all talking about the statistics, but if it is your granny it is a tragedy for your family.”
The findings were published by the UK Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies. The authors pointed out that during the period covered by the study, December 8 to March 10, 2021, vaccinations were heavily focused on older people.
The study’s findings come as the government prepares to scrap controversial rules banning care home residents from leaving their accommodation. From Tuesday residents will be able to leave care homes for “low risk” visits without having to self-isolate for 14 days on their return.
The Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC) removed the requirement for outdoor, “low risk” visits after being threatened with legal action by the charity John’s Campaign
Photo Credit: Getty