1. As the world is mourning the loss of its legendary and multi-talented entertainer, Olanrewaju Abdul-Ganiu Fasasi, popularly known as Sound Sultan, Nigeria’s franchise talents hunt show, The Voice has rendered a powerful mashup in honour of the late singer. Led by the coaches Yemi Alade, Darey Art Alade, Waje and Falz, alongside the top 8 contestants on the show as at the opening of the Saturday edition, the musicians rendered Ajo O Dabi Ile, one of the finest songs that made on his sophomore album, Textbook, which was released in 2004, Cassanova and Kokose (featuring Wizkid), both of which he released in 2013. Falz and one of the contestants, Kpee, did some freestyle rap on the tribute while dancers stepped up the later two songs. They also sent condolences to the wife of the deceased, Farida Fasasi and prayers for his family as a whole, all before the show began proper.2. After this took place, friends of the late Sound Sultan also held a candlelight night for him in Lagos on the night of Sunday, 18th July, a week after his passing. KOKO TV reported that the singer died on Sunday 11th, July, after battling Angioimmunoblastic T-Cell Lymphoma. He has since been buried in New Jersey in the United States of America. Meanwhile, the youths of Satellite Town, where Sound Sultan grew up, had organised the first candle light procession in his honour on Friday, 16th July. Wearing black t-shirts with the late singer’s face on it, the participants of the procession held on Sunday held candles and waved balloons in his honor.3. Still on the legendary Sound Sultan, KOKO TV Nigeria also paid her tribute, celebrating the life well lived and worthy of emulation. In the last edition of the KOKO Weekly Magazine, an extensive biography of the singer’s life, career and achievements reveal he is not just multi-talented but has blessed the world so much with all that he’s got with no controversy whatsoever. Tributes from friends, associates and colleagues ascertain that Sound Sultan is a man who loves God with his life, and lived his life with so much legacy of goodness. The magazine also reviewed 10 Of Sound Sultan’s Contemporaries Whose Works Helped Evolved The Nigerian Music Industry, as well as 10 Quotes From The Legendary Musician.
4. Obi Cubana buried his late mother, Lady Ezinne Uche, who passed on in December 2020, and for more than three days, the streets of social media will not stop talking about Oba, Obi Cubana, hid friends and associates and the Oba, Anambra State burial. To start off the trend and get the tongues wagging, the friends and associates of the nightlife entrepreneur reportedly donated over 346 cows, 70 goats and 20 rams, as well as cash gift of over 250 million Controversy began and sooner than later, celebrities and cream of the society across various fields and industry began sharing videos of bales of money, confirming their attendance as well as giving alerts of what is expected and what will go down in the multi-naira ceremony. Obi Cubana splurged a whooping sum of $100k to get his mother’s face on a diamond neck piece, it rained money and drinks, so much gyration and many more enjoyment. While many thought the ceremony was too expensive and overboard, many others caught cruise and made jokes of the event which has been tagged the Burial of The Year. Meanwhile, the day was Big Wiz’s birthday and even the birthday boy was there to rep.
5. The Obi Cubana effect has caught up with some celebrities, and one who has quickly cried out in reaction is Nollywood actor Yul Edochie. Recall that during the ceremony, actor Alexx Ekubo insisted on not touching his senior colleague, Kanayo O. Kanayo’s money as he is majorly known for acting ritual roles. Obi Cubana himself did the cross signs many times while the actor sprayed him money, keeping in the consciousness of many that Kanayo’s money may not be pure. As a fellow who also take ritualist roles, people then reportedly rushed into Yul Edochie’s DM, asking where and how they can do money rituals. The actor in a post he shared on his Instagram page explained that the fact that he acts such scenes so well in Nollywood movies doesn’t mean he does such in the real world. Likewise, Nollywood actress Uche Jombo took to her Instagram page to reveal that her family’s fish business made them wealthy, to oppose the stereotype that Igbos are fetish in their wealth.6. KOKO TV Nigeria has again expanded it wings and coast with the first edition of the KOKO In Naija, the hottest political show, bringing you all of the trending gbas gbos in the Nigerian political scene. Premiered on Sunday on our YouTube Channel, KOKO In Naija has Laurence Oke-Hortons and Adenike Layo Sobo as presenters, reviewing and analysing the pros, cons and the two sides to every controversial political gist in the nation, while educating and breaking down the different political spectrum in the country and how certain political decisions affects the every day man.
7. David Oyedepo had reportedly fired about pastors in his church, the Living faith bible Church, popularly known as Winners Chapel. In a viral video making round on social media, a man who has identified himself as a former pastor of church says he was sacked by the church for not generating enough money in the branch he was heading as the resident pastor. He claimed he was invited with about forty of his colleagues by the State pastor on July 1, 2021, and were all sacked over low income in their branches. Godwin, however, failed to mention the name of the state.8. It was some good news time for Nollywood actress Ini Dima Okojie, and congratulations are in order for her as she announced her engagement to her fiancé, Dr Abasi Ene-Obong. The actress shared the magical way she met the medical doctor. “About two years ago, on one random day I was ranting on my Insta stories about not being able to find fresh crispy maltesers in Lagos (they are one of my fave chocolates) Next thing, I get an email from an Abasi titled ‘Maltesers from London’ 😅 saying he saw my rant on Instagram and he was in London at the time and would love to send some maltesers to my manager or representative’s address”, she wrote.
9. As the third wave of COVID-19 is rearing its ugly head in Nigeria, the Federal Government has put six States and the Federal Capital Territory FCT on red alert as part of its preventive measures against the now virulent third wave of the COVID-19 pandemic – Lagos, Oyo, Rivers, Kaduna, Kano and Plateau, alongside the Federal Capital Territory FCT. The Secretary to the Government of the Federation and Chairman, Presidential Steering Committee on COVID-19, Mr Boss Mustapha in a statement issued Sunday morning in Abuja, said the government’s action followed the confirmation of the Delta Variant of COVID-19 and the rising number of infections and hospitalization in the country. Lagos had warned her residents the previous week and now, has been warned by the Presidential Steering Committee , alongside all other States of the Federation to heighten their preparedness and continue to enforce all protocols put in place, given the renowned greater ease of spread of the Delta variant.TRENDING VIDEO OF THE DAY
The KOKO In 9JA: Should Politicians Lose Their Positions After Defecting To Another Party? Photos Credit: Getty