Oh Oh! Dolce & Gabbana Halts Shanghai Show

Dolce & Gabbana on Wednesday postponed a long-planned fashion show in Shanghai after there was an outcry over series of racially offensive posts on its social media accounts. The Italian luxury fashion house was quick to defend itself claiming the accounts had been hacked. “We are very sorry for any distress caused by these unauthorised posts. We have nothing but respect for China and the people of China,” D&G said on Instagram.

The intervention, however, did little or no remedy for the situation as some of China’s biggest celebrities who had been billed to attend the event subsequently announced their withdrawal.

The promotion that was created for the event themed “The Great Show” and billed by the fashion house as a “tribute to China,” had short clips showing a woman eating pizza and spaghetti with chopsticks that some deemed culturally insensitive. The management of Wang Junkai, a hugely popular singer in boyband TFBoys, wrote “Our mother country is more important than anything, we appreciate the vigour and beauty of our cultural heritage,” as they announced their withdrawal. “I love my mother country,” the actor Li Bingbing told her 42 million fans on Weibo. In reaction to the Ad, China’s Communist Youth League tweeted on Weibo “Foreign companies operating in China should respect China and respect Chinese people.” This controversy could be a setback for the company who is one of the top brands in the world’s most important luxury market.Photo Credit: Getty

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here