Police in Brazil have charged a model who accused football star Neymar of raping her in a Paris hotel with blackmail.
Najila Trindade and her former husband, Estivens Alves, have been accused of perverting the course of justice and attempting to extort the Brazilian forward.
Neymar, the world’s most expensive footballer, has been cleared of any wrongdoing. Brazil police launched a probe in May after Trindade claimed he flew her to Paris and assaulted her in a hotel after they met on Instagram.
Neymar vehemently denied the accusation and insisted their relations were consensual. Prosecutors officially closed the investigation against the Paris St-Germain player earlier this month, citing a lack of evidence against him.
Police today said they indicted the model for procedural fraud, slanderous denunciation and extortion.
Trindade’s former partner is accused of disclosing erotic content, which was then published online. Her lawyer claimed his client had never colluded with Alves to extort money from the multi-millionaire footballer.
The case first came to light in June when Neymar released a seven minute video on Instagram revealing he had been accused of rape. He also published Whatsapp messages and images he claimed to be of the woman. In the video he said he had to make them public to “prove that nothing really happened”.
He said they’d met on social media and he’d paid for her trip to France and they had consensual sex before she returned to Brazil and accused him of attacking her.
The model then went public, giving a TV interview and releasing footage and a video clip apparently showing an altercation between the pair. Neymar denied the allegations from the outset. The affair, which has dominated headlines in Brazil for months, overshadowed the host country’s preparations for the Copa América.
Hosts Brazil went on to win the competition without their star player, who was injured in a friendly before the opening match. Neymar has yet to play for his club this season following injury and after a summer of transfer interest from Real Madrid and former club Barcelona.
The ex-Santos man, 27, left Barcelona for PSG in 2017 for a world-record £198million. On Friday he played his first game since suffering an ankle injury in June, grabbing a second-half equalizer for Brazil in a 2-2 friendly draw with Colombia.
Photo Credit: Getty