Minister of Justice and Attorney General of the Federation (AGF), Abubakar Malami (SAN), Thursday described as baseless and unfounded the allegations that 48 barrels of crude oil worth $2.4 billion were missing.
Recall that the “Adhoc Committee To Investigate Alleged Loss of Over $2.4 Billion In Revenue From Illegal Sale of 48 million Barrels of Crude Oil Export in 2015 Including Crude oil Exports from 2014 Till Date” of the House of Representatives which had been holding public hearings on the matter had earlier summoned Malami to appear before it an answer to the issues raised against his office, threatening to arrest him if he failed to show up.
However, appearing before the committee chaired by Hon. Mark Gbillah eventually on Thursday, Malami who took his time to school the committee members on the details of the issues dismissed the allegations.
He recalled that in 2016, speculations became rife about the missing crude, prompting President Muhammadu Buhari to call for his advice on the matter.
Malami, however, said that certain facts revealed that there were not enough grounds to substantiate the allegations.
He also remarked that the federal government has arrested some of the whistle blowers while some were on the run to faraway Mexico.
He said: “Let me state on record and for the benefit of Nigerians and the committee that the allegations relating to the 48 million barrels are baseless. The allegation is unfounded. It lacks merit and indeed substance.
“The allegation in its own right is devoid of any reasonable ground pointing to a material suspicion cogent enough to invoke the constitutional oversight of the committee.
Trending video of the day;
Photo Credit: Getty