1. The weekend saw a funny gbas gbos between the Presidency and its ex-prophecier, Father Mbaka. Recall that Father Mbaka had said God asked him to take back all of the prophecies of Buhari leading the nation to its Canaan. The FG, however, said in a statement, that the Father Mbaka has asked for contract from the Government for his support and not getting any, he chose to slander the Buhari-led administration. Father Mbaka mocked the FG for the accusation, saying it is a laughable and childish accusation. Meanwhile, UK-based Reno Omokri petitioned the Pope to investigate Father Mbaka for bringing shame to Catholic church.
2. While #BiafraExit was one of the topics of the week, crossing over to the weekend, the Indigenous Pople Of Biafra IPOB’s leader Nnamdi Kanu, over the weekend, declared 30th May as the IPOB Remembrance Day. Giving a modus operandi for the day, Kanu called for a total lockdown of the Southeast, Abuja, Lagos State and the North, and a sit-at-home order across Biafra land to honour the fallen Igbos.
3. Some sort of good news came in for Nigerian graduates this weekend as the Federal government promised to expand the N-Powerprogramme from the present 500,000 beneficiaries to one million.The President said this in his May Day message to Nigerian workers, noting that the expansion will ensure job creation and poverty alleviation and cushion the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic.
4. Fayemi was on the mouths and in the tweets of many Nigerians over the weekend, especially the youths as majority disagree with his ‘stay and let’s build Nigeria together’. The Governor of Ekiti State, had, during a programme organised by Pastor Poju Oyemade – The Platform, hinted Nigerians who may want to seek greener pastures in Canada that the nation has what is called the glass ceiling, which can only allow then grow to an extent and never higher. According to him, Nigeria has no glass ceiling and at such, citizens should rather stay and build the nation together. The NGF Governor also stated that insurgency had decreased since 2015 when President Buhari came into power. What do you think of his statements?5. After Twitter ditched Nigeria for Ghana for its African headquarters, naming social media and speech regulation as a factor, the 11th edition of the KOKO Weekly Magazine focused on the pros and cons of regulating social media in Nigeria. Citing India as a case study, having running smoothly with its media regulated, the magazine reviews why it will be a good idea regulating the Nigerian social networking space, giving the rise of fake news and ill reports that dominate the platforms. On the other hand, social media has seemed to be the voice of the Nigerian masses and at such, the magazine also reviews why it should not be regulated, putting in consideration, the role of social media in the modern society. What is your take?6. Christ Embassychurches in Nigeria and abroad seem to be under some sort of attack over the weekend, making its name trend for all the wrong reasons. A branch of the church in Ghana ran into a problem with the Government as the Police is investigating an alleged gathering by the church. The church had reportedly held an event tagged Pneumatica Night at Trade Fair Centre Accra on Friday 30th April, one which reports said disregarded COVID-19 protocols putting the entire country at risk of spreading the virus. Another branch in Port Harcourt, Nigeria saw protesters demanding a refund of the money donation made by an alleged fraudster, Maxwell Odum. Maxwell was said to have donated over 1 billion naira to the church and in turn, he had been named the Partner of the Year for two consecutive years – 2019 and 2020 by Pastor Chris.7. Popular celebrity couple, Teddy A and Bam Bam have opened up about aspects of their relationship in a recent interview, giving some tips to a long lasting and peaceful relationship or say marriage. The parents of one who had met and fallen in love on the BBNaija reality TV show were asked what they think of checking one’s partner’s phone. Replying, Bam Bam said she sees no point in going through her husband’s phone as that may lead to altercations between them. Teddy A then added that it is a disrespectful thing to do! We hope this tipworks for any couple reading this!8. Legendary singer 2face Idibia was a tiger generator for some social media users as he came under attack for showing support for the bill to create additional seats for women in the legislature. The singer had replied to a post on Twitter saying that it was time to make way for the African queens to take positions of leadership. Sharing that it is more important for the government to cut down its spending than accepting more seats in the legislature which will eventually lead to more spending, a called the singer sorts of names for supporting such a move.9. #FindHinnyHumoren is another tragic hashtag that dominated the social media space during the weekend, after a young job-seeking graduate went missing for days. Ini Umoren was said to have left her home to attend an interview but didn’t return. A few days later, the Akwa Ibom Police arrested one Uduak Frank Akpan for Ini’s death. According to the Police statement, 20-year-old Akpan lured Umoren to his residence under the pretext of offering her a job before he raped, killed and then buried her. 20 year old! What a sad world!
10. Baba Ijesha’s woes thickened over the weekend just as many more out-of-court defenders rose for the actor. Nollywood actress Bukky Black had taken the same route as actor Yomi Fabiyi, insisting the foster mother of the molested minor set Baba Ijesha up. The Police breached the victim and plaintiff’s trust by releasing the CCTV footage to a Nigerian media, and this only stirred more controversy on the case, as many more apologists twisted the story in favour of the actor. Yomi Fabiyi who had been asking for the CCRV evidence has left his duty post of exonerating the actor but now demanding the arrest of Princess for using the minor as a bair for evidence. More celebrities, including Don Jazzy, Mercy Johnson, Beverly Naya and Yvonne Jegede have also weighed in on the case, slamming the embattled Baba Ijesha and his defenders. Meanwhile, a copy of the case has been filed at the Lagos State Domestic and Sexual Violence Team.
TRENDING VIDEO OF THE DAY: Lasisi Elenu Is Stupid – Funky Mallam
Photos Credit: Getty