Ewedu (Jute Leaf) is one of the African dishes whose nutritional and medicinal values are undermined, mostly known for its time and cost-saving factors. Many people do not know the great Ewedu wonders that can be derived from this plant and so they underrate it, although they eat it very well, especially in times when they are not too buoyant to make a pot full of soup, making different cheap dishes and pottage from it.
Ewedu whose botanical name is Cochorus Olitorius is very popular among the Yoruba ethnic group and is mostly taken as a supporting dish to the main soup to thicken the soup and add it’s drawy power to the meal. The supporting dish’s twin with which it is also combined is the local bean soup Gbegiri, and the trio is always, always on point.
Let’s divulge into the unbelievable Ewedu wonder benefits one can gain, which you might not have known until now. This should, of course, trigger you to know how well you need to start eating ad cherishing the draw soup.
- Brain Development: Did this get you thinking, like ‘really, Ewedu develops the brain?’ Well, this is possible because of the rich content of Omega 3 in the plant. When taken in enough quantity, Ewedu (Jute Leaves) helps improve the functions of the brain. It also helps to regulate nerve impulse and to treat nerve tingling. It is strongly recommended for growing children to improve their brainpower.
- Hair Growth: this too? Of course yes! It is also the function of the Omega 3 present in Ewedu to prevent hair loss and baldness and keep the hair healthy and strong. It is also known to solve dandruff problems and to prevent scalp exfoliation. Extracts of the leaves are also known to be added to hair products such as creams and serums.Food Is Powerful! See What A Lady Served Her Boyfriend That Made Him Cry. You need to up your game and make great dishes too.
- Skin Care/Cancer Prevention: According to the National Institute of Health, the plant can protect and improve the skin from damage caused by ultra-violet rays as it contains antioxidants that work against toxins and free radicals, especially on the skin. The leaves can also be processed to make a face mask to freshen the skin and reduce wrinkles. The essential fatty acids in Ewedu keeps the skin moist, making it recommendable to treat dry and scaly skin. It also contains Vitamin A that helps to tighten and exfoliate the skin, keeping it soft, young and healthy.
- Pain Reducer: do you feel too much pain when you get injured or wounded, or when you strain your body? Well, it is important that you jump on the Ewedu wonder power and reduce your pains. It contains Vitamin E that works to reduce pain from injuries, body aches, arthritis and others. It also increases stamina and helps you stay fit. I bet you didn’t know this before.
- Digestion Functions: The plant is rich in Fibre that helps to tackle indigestion problems such as heartburn and constipation. It keeps the digestive system healthy by regulating bowel movements.There are surely more benefits than highlighted here that can be enjoyed simply by adding the plants to your daily food and dietary veggies. Apart from preparing the leaves as draw-soup with seasoning and palm oil, Ewedu can be cooked with water alone and drunk to purify the body. It can also be prepared as spinach stew (Efo Riro). Another thing you can make out of the Jute leaves is a herbal tea derived from drying and brewing the leaves.
What then are you waiting for then KOKOFoodie? Join the moving train and stay fit, healthy and beautiful. Till next week on our Food segment, Ewedu should not miss in your dishes!