Egyptian Football Association and Liverpool Football Club are currently at loggerhead over forward, Mo Salah who was listed as one of the participating players for the country in the Tokyo 2020 Olympics.
Egypt’s qualification is on the basis of their reaching the finals of the 2019 U23 Africa Cup of Nations. Mo Salah has been called upon by coach, Shawky Gharib to assist and participate in the tournament.
The competition which is set for July 24 to August 9 will see the forward miss the pre-season of the 2020/21 Premier League season – scheduled to start on August 9.“
Speaking, Coach Gharib said that “Out of the three senior players we’ll call-up, Salah is the only one we’re settled on so far because he’s simply one of the top three players in the world,
“I haven’t talked to Salah at all about him joining the U23 squad for the Olympics, but in all honesty, his participation in the Olympics will need a little effort from him as well.”
Reports however say the club is displeased with the move and might likely not release the player as his absence spells a negative position for the club. Read more: Mo Salah Rejects €170m Switch To Juventus
In lieu of this, Gharib released a statement where he said “Salah’s participation with the Pharaohs team is a decision to be taken only by Salah, his club Liverpool and his coach Jurgen Klopp.
“I have chosen him in an expanded list of 50 players. The final list of 18 players will be submitted next June.”
Salah’s agent Ramy Abbas Issa tweeted on Wednesday however “No decision has been made yet.”