Did it strike your mind like “What?!? Tomatoes?” Well, I felt the same too KOKOBeauties, when I first learned about the wonders of the fruit/ vegetable, as it applies to you and until I tried the magic, I didn’t believe its superpowers.
Tomato is an acidic edible and often red plant of the berry family, whose acidic nature it ideal for use as a natural beauty item. Whether eaten raw, mashed to make a face mask, cut into pieces and applied to the skin or mixed with other natural ingredients, the wonders that this fruit and vegetable can do to your skin are numerous. Here, we have highlighted 7 of those magics that you need to try out, depending on your skin needs and beauty desires.
- Anti-ageing and Anti-oxidant: It naturally contains nutrients like lycopene, Vitamin K, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Proteins, and many more which help in rejuvenating your skin and preventing it from ageing. It works as an antioxidant and a sunscreen for your skin. Just slice out the tomato and apply on the skin and leave for some minutes before washing off. Repeat application twice to three times a week for your firm skin no wrinkles.
- Repair of Skin Tissues and Cells: Tomatoes can help in repairing the damaged cells of the skin. It contains Protein which is critical during the wound healing process because it helps the body repair damaged tissues, build and repair cells, fight infection and heal cuts on time. The Vitamin C present in the fruit is also an essential nutrient and antioxidant. Eating tomatoes raw does the magic.
- Shrinking Pores: Tomatoes treatment helps to shrink the big pores on the skin and prevents the skin from infection. A few teaspoons of tomato juice added in a few drops of lime juice massaged on the skin and left for 15-20 minutes before being washed off with cool water is a superb treatment you can try out.
- Skin Lightening: If you want to have a lightened skin in just 3 days, try out tomatoes face and skin pack. Tomato helps in skin whitening by lightening pigmentation and treating blemishes. Since it also works on sunburn, the overall effect is that of making the skin appear fairer. A mixture of a tablespoon of sandalwood powder with some tomato pulp and a few drops of lemon juice is magical! Sandalwood also is used as a skin-lightening agent, as is lemon. All the three ingredients come together in this face pack is fire! Leave the mask on your face until it dries out and wash it off well with water, then you welcome your fairer and lightened skin, without cream or inorganic chemicals.
- Acne, Blackspots and Pimples: Being rich in vitamins, tomatoes are very effective in curing acnes, blackspots and pimples on the skin. Simply slice a tomato and rub the succulent part on the skin. Leave for some minutes and wash off with cool water to get rid off acnes and to get the great glow. Lemon has similar properties with tomatoes as they are both acidic in nature so combining the two gets you a strong and effective solution. Mix together half a mashed tomato with juice from half a lemon. Apply this on acne affected areas, or better still, all over the face. Leave it on for half-hour and wash it off with warm water. Repeat this every week for acne relief.
- Sunburn: Tomato is rich in lycopene and other plant compounds that may protect against sunburn. But in case you have the burns already, tomato is still a helping hand and saving grace. Just make a paste of half a tomato with three teaspoons of yoghurt. Apply the paste all over the affected areas and leave it for half an hour. The tomatoes have anti-inflammatory properties that will soothe the sunburn and it neutralizes the skin while the yoghurt will replenish the moisture balance of the skin.
Read also: Ewedu Wonder! 5 Unbelievable Benefits You Will Derive From Eating Ewedu
- Glowing Skin: everyone, of course, desires a skin that shines and glow, all smooth without any bump. To get a good glowing skin, fresh tomato juice is a run-to ingredient mixed with few drops of honey.Gently apply this mixture on the skin as the face, neck, etc. and leave for a few minutes. Wash it off with cold water and repeat twice in a week for a fantastic smooth and shiny skin.
Tomatoes also help oily skin reduce the amount of oil it produces, which pave way for pimples and acnes. Mix equal ratios of tomato and cucumber juice, apply and leave on the skin for 20 minutes, then wash it off with lukewarm water. This will prevent the skin from additional oiliness. What more can we say than try these solutions and testify to the magic wonders of tomatoes!