Arsene Wenger had said on Friday night that he was due for talks to replace Niko Kovac with Bayern Munich next week but has appeared to have had a change of heart.
Arsene Wenger has officially withdrawn his name from becoming the next Bayern Munich manager. Bayern are on the search for a new boss after Niko Kovac was sacked last Sunday following Bayern’s 5-1 thrashing at the hands of Eintracht Frankfurt.
Former Arsenal gaffer Wenger, 70, had been open to moving to the Allianz Arena – thanks in part to his close friendship with chief Karl-Heinz Rumenigge. But he has now insisted that his interest in the job has ended.
“I wish good luck to Bayern, and for me the situation is settled,” beIN Sports report him saying.
The Frenchman hasn’t had a job in football management since he departed the Gunners in 2018 after 22 years at the helm in north London – where he won three Premier League titles and seven FA Cups.
He has rejected a number of opportunities to return to the dugout. Wenger, who had been linked with a contract with Bayern until the end of the season, had insisted that he was due for talks with the Bavarian giants next week, having released a statement on Friday night.
He told beIN Sports: “On Wednesday afternoon, Rumenigge called me. I could not answer at that moment and, by politeness, I called him back. He was in his car going to the game against Olympiacos. We talked for four to five minutes maximum and he told me they had assigned Flick to be the coach and he will manage the next two games because they play Dortmund tomorrow.
“He asked me if I would be interested because they are looking for a coach. I told him I didn’t have any thoughts about it. It needs some time to have a think about it. We decided together we will talk next week because I am in Doha until Sunday night. This is the true story.”
Photo Credit: Getty