Antony has reportedly gone on strike at Ajax, with the Brazil international desperately attempting to force a move to Manchester United before the end of the summer transfer window.
The 22-year-old has made it clear that he wants to leave the Dutch champions in the current market, with the attacker recently giving an exclusive interview to Italian journalist Fabrizio Romano explaining his situation.
“Since February of this year, my agents came to Amsterdam to inform Ajax of my desire to leave the club to face new challenge and that some interested clubs would arrive and with them, certainly a great offer,” Antony told Romano.
“In June of this year, I interrupted my vacation and came personally to inform the managers of Ajax, including new coach, about my wish to leave and that they should consider this possibility, because it was a project for two seasons.
“During the window months, meetings continued and I also received a proposal from Ajax for contract renewal. I made it clear once again: I want to leave.
“Today, in a meeting with the club, I expressed my old interest in leaving, only this time with a considerable offer on the table. Others had already arrived! Ajax refused with argument that they only have five days to replace me.”
Man United are believed to have seen their latest offer in the region of £76m turned down by Ajax, with the Eredivisie outfit said to be holding out for a deal of £85m.
Antony has started the 2022-23 campaign in strong form, scoring twice and providing two assists in three appearances, including one goal and two assists in two league fixtures, but he did not feature in the team’s last fixture against Sparta Rotterdam.
The Dutch outfit are under no pressure to sell this summer, with the South American still having another three years left to run on his contract.
However, according to reports, Antony has gone on strike at Ajax, refusing to play in their league game at FC Utrecht on Sunday, as he looks to force a move to Old Trafford.
Ajax manager Alfred Schreuder is believed to have told senior figures at the club that it would be a mistake to allow any more key players to leave before the end of the window.
The Dutch club have already sold Lisandro Martinez to Man United this summer, while Sebastien Haller, Ryan Gravenberch and Noussair Mazraoui are also among those to have departed.
Ajax’s board of directors are reportedly due to meet on Sunday to discuss whether they can afford to reject Man United’s interest, with the player actively attempting to leave.
The attacker has scored 24 goals and registered 22 assists in 82 appearances for Ajax since making the move from Sao Paulo in July 2020.
Man United have made four signings during this summer’s transfer window, bringing in Tyrell Malacia, Christian Eriksen, Lisandro Martinez and Casemiro, and all four players were involved in Saturday’s 1-0 win at Southampton.
Photo Credit: Getty