1. After a full year delay caused by several scandals, and the spectre of the COVID-19 pandemic hanging over it, the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games finally kicked off on Friday 23rd July, 2021. The world-wide games and sports competition had suffered several postponements and fear of taking place but eventually, was flagged off as the past week was winding up.An orchestral medley of songs from iconic Japanese video games served as the soundtrack for the parade of countries at the ceremony. The first song played on Friday was “Roto’s Theme” from the Dragon Quest series, the parade also included the main Final Fantasy theme and “Victory Fanfare,” the song that plays when a player wins an encounter with another well-known song that was featured was Star Light Zone from the original Sonic the Hedgehog. In addition to appearing in the original game, a remixed version appeared in the DS version of Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games.
The placards for the country names for the parade of athletes used manga speech bubbles, and the costumes for the placard bearers and assistants had manga touches in their design. This kick-off marks more than just the beginning of two weeks of sporting feats, it is also the end of a long and tiring marathon for the Japanese organisers who have been waiting for this moment since 8 September 2013 and the designation of Tokyo as the host city of the 2020 Olympic Games. However, the grandstand of the venue, which can normally accommodate 68,000 spectators, saw Japanese emperor Naruhito, International Olympic Committee President Thomas Bach, French President Emmanuel Macron and US First Lady Jill Biden. These dignitaries and a few thousand other privileged guests will witness the lighting of the cauldron by the flame alighted on 12 March 2020 in Olympia, which traditionally marks the start of the Game.2. Meanwhile, the members of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) have vowed to storm Abuja, the nation’s capital for the trial of their leader, Nnamdi Kanu at the Federal High Court, Abuja on Monday, asking Malami to prepare more cells and mortuaries should he want to detain or kill them. The group’s spokesperson, Emma Powerful, on Sunday while speaking about his expectations regarding Kanu’s trial, which is expected to commence on today, Monday, while also cautioning the members of IPOB and Kanu’s supporters to behave appropriately and obey the law. However, Nnamdi Kanu did not show up in court today.3. Usuak Akpan, the alleged killer of Akwa Ibom job seeker, Iniubong Umoren, will begin at the Akwa Ibom State High Court 6 in Uyo, the State capital on Monday, July 26. According to a statement released by the media unit of the Akwa Ibom State Ministry of Justice and signed by the Information Officer in the ministry, Effiong Edet, the State’s Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice, Uko Essien Udom (SAN), will be the lead counsel for the prosecution team. The statement added that the police investigating team had exhumed the deceased’s remains, which was buried in a shallow grave, showing her mouth gagged and the neck strangulated and squeezed, eyeballs bulging and tongue popping out, all allegedly pointing irresistibly to one direction, murder.4. On Entertainment and repping Nigeria internationally, a super-talented contortionist Oyindamola Kolawole, popularly known as Dflex, obviously did himself, his brand and the Giant of Africa proud. Dflex, who is doing amazing things was at one of the world’s biggest reality talent shows, America’s Got Talent, and ended up getting all four judges giving him their Yeses. The father of one is a contortionist and had wowed the audience as well as the judges with how flexible his body is and how much he could do with it. With all 4 yeses, Dflex could proceed to the next stage of the competition.
5. The latest edition of the KOKO Weekly Magazine keyed into the controversial Obi Cubana’s burial of the year, analysing the nightlife businessman and his wife, Ebele ‘Lusy Eby’ Iyiegbu. “Behind every successful man is a strong woman” are the famous words of speaker Groucho Marx. These words over the years have been proven to be true as we have met women who are the brains and spines behind their husband’s success stories. One of such women is Ebele Iyiegbu the wife of nightlife king Obi Cubana. Many are familiar with her husband for his role in the nightlife business but close sources say that Obi has enjoyed this level of success because of the force named Ebele that stands solidly behind him and this is evident in how well he showers her with praises and constantly calling her his wife. If there is anything you will like to know about Obi Cubana, his wealth, wife and lifestyle, then this read is for you, enjoy!6. The weekend was very hot and heated in the polity as the General Overseer, Citadel Global Community Church (formerly called The Latter Rain Assembly), Lagos, Pastor Tunde Bakare, on Sunday dared a top official of the administration of President Muhammadu Buhari, to come after him if the government was offended by his recent pronouncements, which he said had become unsettling to some people. Pastor Tunde Bakare, who was the running mate to President Muhammadu Buhari when the President contested election on the platform of the former Congress for Progressive Change in 2011, said this and more during a sermon in his church in Ikeja, Lagos State. The cleric also condemned the recent clampdown on the leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra(IPOB), Nnamdi Kanu, and Yoruba Nation agitator, Sunday Adeyemo, (a.k.a Sunday Igboho), saying the federal government has replaced the search for justice with intimidation and brutality.
7. Good gorgeous news! Members of the popular 90’s music group, Plantashun Boiz, Blackface, 2Face and Faze have come out to settle their difference as they pay tribute to and honor their friend and colleague, Sound Sultan. In the spirit of honoring the great singer and performer who passed away on Sunday 11th July and made some of the hits songs in the 90s and early 2000, members of the defunct group, Plantashun Boiz have settled their biff. On the night of tribute held in Lagos on Sunday, July 24th, they not just settled their difference but performed some of their hits together at the occasion.
8. Governor Mohammed Bello Matawalle of Zamfara State must have been brooding so much about the insecurity and banditry that has almost taken over the North that he had issued a strong warning to the leaders and elites of the region about the unfathomable threat banditry poses to the economic and social development of the region and to Nigeria at large. The Governor explained that Banditry has the potential to swallow the entire country if conscious efforts are not made to tackle it rearing dangers. The governor issued the warning while presenting a lead paper entitled ‘The Fight Against Banditry in Northwest Nigeria: Challenges and Solutions’, during the inauguration of the new executives of Arewa Media Writers’ Association held at Kabir Gymnasium in Kaduna state over the weekend.
9. Yet another good news are here and we are all glad for it! The bandits, who kidnapped the students of Bethel Baptist High School, Damishi, Kaduna, have released 28 of them 1212 they had in their den, after 20 days in captivity. 27 students had first escaped and the bandits released one more who wasn’t feeling too well in their abode. Abraham Aniya, one of the students, was rescued by security operatives on July 12 alongside two other victims who were kidnapped by bandits some days ago along Kaduna-Kachia road. Two other students escaped on July 20 when they were tasked to go and fetch firewood from a nearby forest. Confirming the development, Mohammed Jalige, the Public Relations Officer of Kaduna State Police Command had said the two students were sighted around the Rijanna area along the Kaduna-Abuja highway. “Yes, two of the students were rescued this evening along Kaduna-Abuja highway and they are undergoing medical examination”, Jalige reportedly said. Now, the bandits have released yet some more. Joseph Hayab, the Chairman of the Christian Association of Nigerian CAN, Kaduna State, confirmed their release to the press on Sunday. Oh, how tears flowed when they were reunited with their parents. The pupils and their parents couldn’t hold back their tears as they hugged themselves.Read Also: Sunday Igboho Is A Militant Ethnic Secessionist Conducting Acts Of Terror And Disturbing The Peace – Buhari
10. Finally, the much anticipated show which will steal the attention of the ‘immature’ Nigerian youths, hooking them to their TVs, phones and social media pages – Big Brother Naija – is back with Season 6 – Shine Ya Eye! A few weeks ago, the organisers of the show announced a 90 million cash prize for the winner and subsequently, the modus operandi and date of the new season. The days finally came with Ebuka still being the Host, as contrary to the cries of many who want him replaced. The men of the House – all 11 of them – were first introduced on Saturday and then the ladies, also 11, came in on Sunday, totaling only for them to get a task from biggie ASAP, which might see to the eviction of 2 wild cats. Surprisingly and interestingly, the organizers of season six of the Big Brother Naija reality show have also announced that N1m naira cash prize is up for grabs for viewers at home. The season is gon be a banger, kinda, and we are here to bring you all of the gist!
TRENDING VIDEO OF THE DAY: I Will Like To See Bobrisky Naked – Cossy Orjiakor Photos Credit: