Colonel Mamady Doumbouya has emerged as leader of the coup d’etat that toppled the 11 year-old government of President Alpha Conde and seen as the new man in charge of Guinea after he led a unit of elite soldiers to seize power on Sunday.
Announcing the military takeover, the 41-year-old former French legionary said the army had little choice because of the rampant corruption, disregard for human rights and economic mismanagement under President Alpha Condé.
“The president is with us, he’s in a safe place,” he said on Sunday.
Read Also: Soldiers Arrest Guinean President Alpha Conde, Remove Him From Power In A Coup D’etat
President Condé remains in detention while the UN, African Union and regional body Ecowas all condemn the military junta that claims to have replaced him.
Here are some 15 things to know of the leader of Guinean junta.
1. There is a wide gap in the age of Conde and Doumbouya. The military officer is forty one, while Conde is 83.
2. He is married to a European woman and they have three children
Read Also: Our 1st Son Is Not My Biological Child Even Though He Was Born When We Were Married – Media Personality Nedu Addresses Domestic Violence Claims By Ex-wife Uzo Ohiri
3. He was until sunday, the head of the Group of Special Forces of the Guinean army.
4. He was a graduate of the School of War, with more than fifteen years military experience.
5. He had been on UN military mission to Afghanistan, Ivory Coast, Djibouti, Central African Republic
6. Doumbouya has also had military training in Israel, Cyprus, United Kingdom.
7. In Israel, he completed the operational protection specialist training at the International Security Academy.
8. He also completed the unit commanders training course at the Infantry Application School (EAI – Senegal) , the training of staff officer (EEML – Libreville) and the Paris War School.
Read Also: Annie Idibia Blasts Husband, Tuface Idibia, His Family And His Babymamas As She Accuses Him Of Sleeping Under The Same Roof With Pero Adeniyi
9. His training has equipped him to be able to identify and defuse risky situations by remaining calm in the face of a hostile environment and extreme pressure.
10. The head of the Special Forces Group adapts and improvises to any situation that requires self-control, risk assessment and rapid decision-making.
11. Commander Doumbouya holds a Master 2 (bac + 5) defense and industrial dynamics at the University panthéon Assas Paris ll. Defense expert in management, command and strategy.
12. He was also a Commondo instructor on risk assessment and rapid decision making.
13. the 41-year-old former is a French legionary.
Read Also: If Annie Idibia Had Many Baby Daddies We Won’t Be Having This Discussion – Bisi Alimi
14. Col Doumbouya quoted the late Jerry Rawlings of Ghana after takeover – who seized power in 1979 – saying “if the people are crushed by their elites, it is up to the army to give the people their freedom”.
Photo Credit: Getty